limits_home.gif (2310 bytes)webimage/sector/no.gif
sector_home.gif (1688 bytes)              Peggy Bouchet is part of the Sector "No Limits Team"



AT 10:15GMT Christophe Hebert of Columbia River telephoned the Ocean
Rowing Society HQ in London and reported that Peggy Bouchet arrived in
Guadeloupe at 3:45 local time May 28th.
She is not injured and is described as being "well".
The Sector No Limits is still at sea (overturned) and Christophe is now
heading an effort to try and retrieve her.
The Argos beacon is still transmiting the location of the Sector No Linits

May 28... Yesterday, after 79 days at sea and an exemplary crossing, Peggy Bouchet
became victim of a capsize which forced her to resign 120 miles away from the
arriva point.  As soon as the distress message was received at 13:50 GMT, a plane was
chartered by the organisation to locate Peggy. After two and a half hours of
search they saw an emergency flare that was set off by Peggy, thus allowing
the rescue of to begin. Peggy  was cradled on the hull of the boat. Meanwhile,
a plane chartered by the operational center of maritime rescue in Antilles, dropped                                                      a life raft near Peggy. (An incredible feat by the pilot...)

By that time, the "Marine Nationale" and the company "Nouvelles Frontieres"
were proving their solidarity by sending their boats to the location. In
the end , a Cyprian ship, the Peramos, enroute to the  US  rescued
the shipwrecked Peggy Bouchet.

During this delicate manoeuvre, Peggy remained remarkably calm as Gerard
d'Aboville explained it, "Like all your friends, I felt a great relief to
know you were safe and rescued after those hours of anxiety. I can only
imagine the great disappointment you are feeling so close to your dream goal
and so close to being rewarded for your superb performance"

Gerard also said "Like everyone who knows the ocean, I know how fragile
human initiatives can be and how cruel such a misfortune can be, when the
goal is believed to be achieved. However, I will remember the incredible
stubborness you demonstrated since you left as well as your courage and
your calm during your rescue."

Once on board the Cypriot ship, Peggy sent a message in which she talks
about her terrible experience, "After having talked to Christophe Hebert of
Columbia River, I had an imense fear. I was closing the hatch when suddenly
a very strong wave capsized the boat. Being trapped under the boat by my
harness I was unable to breath and I thought that I was going to die.I had
to take my ARGOS beacon and trigger it. Then I climbed onto the hull to wait
for help. The boat was filling up with water little by little, and I decided
to dive into the rear cabin. I took the beacon sarsat. I had to dive
15-times, risking each time to be knocked down by hitting the sides, due to
the strength of the boat"

Peggy went on to say "Then no news…. A plane flew over  without seeing me.
I dove again to get my emergency flares. I had to open the storage
compartment but I was afraid of filling the boat with more water. I hardly
managed to do it and I prayed for the plane to come back. Phew…I lit every
single emergency flare that I had. A plane dropped a liferaft and I was rescued by
a ship. I managed to hang my beacon on the boat just in time. You can't
imagine how happy I am to be safe. After such an experience, you realize
that life hinges on little things.

One more second and the hatch would have been closed, well …one more day and…"

I kiss you all
Peggy, happy to be with you.