The ORS Int. is the official adjudicator of ocean rowing records for Guinness World Records

 

 

Artemis - La Mondiale  2009

 
January 15 2009
14:00hrs

LEVEN AND TEAM HAVE MADE A MUTUAL DECISION TO ABORT THIS EXPEDITION AND IT HAS BEEN ARRANGED THAT A 24,000 TON BULK CARRIER ‘ISLAND RANGER’ WILL PICK THE CREW UP AND IS SCHEDULED TO BE WITH THEM AT APPROXIMATELY 20.00HRS THIS EVENING AND TAKE THEM TO ITALY.

AT PRESENT THEY ARE DRIFTING WITHOUT STEERING AND LITTLE POSSIBILITY OF REPAIR. THE WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE GRIM WITH GALE FORCE WINDS AND 8 METRE SEAS AND IT IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE THIS WAY FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT WEEK. WITH THE WEATHER & CIRCUMSTANCES THIS DECISION IS THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION.

EVERYONE IS SAFE BUT ALL THESE MEN WILL BE DEVASTATED THAT THIS EXPEDITION HAS TO FINISH ON THIS NOTE ESPECIALLY AS EVERYTHING HAD BEEN GOING SO WELL BUT SAFETY MUST COME FIRST AND ALTHOUGH IT IS SAD FOR THEM THERE IS NO ADVENTURE WITHOUT THE ELEMENT OF RISK. BE PROUD OF THIS CREW, NOT MANY PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED THESE EXTREME CONDITIONS, THEY WILL ALL BE STRONGER FOR IT.


January 13 2009
From Hermione Macfarlane
 

20.00hrs  -  Whatever the submerged object was, it was large.  The rudder was sheared off at water level.  Having taken stock of the situation, a new rudder has been made but at the moment it is impossible to fit it into position as it is dark and the ocean swells are running 4 to 6 metres and the wind is still strong.  To make a positive of the present situation this period of forced inactivity will allow the team to rest thro’ the night.  Daylight & sea conditions allowing, they will hopefully rig the makeshift rudder and get going as soon as possible.  These men are the best and have all showed true grit and soon will be getting on regardless of all this inconvenience.


16.00hrs -

Just had a message from Leven.  They have had to deployed their Sea Anchor as unfortunately they have lost their rudder due to hitting an underwater object, either a container or a whale.  THEY ARE ALL SAFE AND IN GOOD SPIRITS. The wind is strong and blowing about 25knots so have to wait until it slackens.  They are taking stock and will try to effect a repair as soon as possible but this may take 2 to 3 days.  I have to emphasise that they are all fine but as sick as parrots as they were going so well.   More later.


 

 

 

 

 


 © 1983-2008 Ocean Rowing Society

Design by REDTED